Complexions Dermatology of Danville and Colonial Heights, VA is pleased to offer a myriad of treatments for moderate to severely dry skin, also known as xerosis cutis. Our board certified dermatologists will examine your skin to ensure no other conditions are present that may be causing the symptoms. Together, we will discuss at-home care options and minimal lifestyle changes that can help relieve the condition.
The goal of treating dry skin is to relieve the associated symptoms. Many recommendations can be implemented at home without having to take or use topical medications such as:
- Moisturize daily using an oil-based cream instead of or in addition to a water-based cream
- Staying hydrated by drinking plenty of water
- Take short showers, no longer than 10 minutes and use lukewarm water rather than hot water
- Pat or blot the skin dry after a shower instead of rubbing
- Use soaps that are free from dyes, perfumes and alcohol
- Moisturize after your shower to help lock in moisture
- Avoid scratching skin as it causes inflammation and possibly opens the skin making it more vulnerable to infections
- Use a humidifier in the house during the winter months
- Wear clothes made of 100% cotton material
If dry skin is severe and affects your quality of life, Complexions Dermatology can suggest an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream as well as prescribe topical anti-itch creams to help combat the itching and worsening the itch-scratch cycle. Schedule your appointment online or call us at our Danville location (434) 792-0423 or our Colonial Heights location (804) 805-8442 to learn more.