The providers at Complexions Dermatology are focused on restoring the health of your skin and helping you manage inflammatory skin conditions that can interrupt your lifestyle. We will work with you to develop an individualized treatment plan designed to address your unique and personal needs.
One of our top priorities is to make an accurate diagnosis of your skin condition which will help direct the best course of treatment. When diagnosing psoriasis, we will evaluate your skin and if the symptoms are unclear, we may take a small sample of skin, called a biopsy to further evaluate under a microscope. Once the diagnosis is made, we can prescribe an effective treatment plan that will help you manage your symptoms and help to reduce flare-ups.
We understand the physical discomfort and emotional stress that can occur with having psoriasis. Complexions Dermatology will partner with you in determining the best treatment options for your unique symptoms in an effort to reduce the impact it can have on your life. While there is no cure, treatments can provide relief during flare-ups and help to minimize or slow the growth of plaques. Some of the treatments include:
- Liberal application of topical creams or ointments onto the affected skin can provide relief for mild to moderate psoriasis while possibly avoiding the systemic oral medication. Topical treatments include:
- Corticosteroid creams to relieve itching, reduce inflammation and minimize the production of cells
- Salicylic acid ointment can be applied to the plaques to help lift the scales to remove them and soften the affected skin
- Vitamin D ointments and creams help to slow the production of new skin cells. It has been shown to work well when combined with other treatments such as a topical corticosteroid cream.
- Retinoids applied topically can help speed up the shedding of skin cells and may help improve psoriatic conditions.
- Systemic medications are available for people with moderate to severe psoriasis and who did not respond to topical treatment. There are side effects to some systemic medications and therefore are used for short durations of time.
- Sunlight or UV light has been shown to improve psoriatic conditions by attacking the overactive white blood cells causing rapid cell growth.
Complexions Dermatology of Danville and Colonial Heights, Virginia is pleased to provide expert care in the diagnosis and treatment of psoriasis. We understand the impact it can have on the many aspects of your life and we look forward to working with you to help manage the symptoms of psoriasis which, in turn, will help restore your self-confidence and quality of life. Call us today at our Danville location (434) 792-0423 or our Colonial Heights location (804) 805-8442 to schedule your consultation at Complexions Dermatology.